Thursday 29 January 2015

What is HSCT

 https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/2a/25/cb/2a25cb9d93574a63743ea1e33d983e59.jpg


 What is HSCT I hear you ask?   

 "Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation involves the intravenous (IV) infusion of autologous or allogeneic stem cells to reestablish hematopoietic function in patients whose bone marrow or immune system is damaged or defective".   (Wikkepedia)

Or in lay mans terms;  The procedure involves harvesting stem cells from the patient and giving them doses of chemotherapy, then replacing the stem cells back into their  body.    Its like re-booting a patient’s immune system with their own stem cells after high-dose chemotherapy.

Pretty hard core hey?  Like I've said before, Mary is one the bravest souls I know to be undergoing this treatment but it is the only way to halt the onset of more symptoms.   As controversial as this HSCT treatment is, it is paramount in Mary's recovery from MS, it doesn't claim to cure MS but it is said to halt it in its tracks.  

Please help us get Mary to Moscow.

If you want to know more about HSCT Treatment check out this article of Kristy Cruise on 60 minutes who had the same treatment last year at the same hospital and with the same Doctor  that Mary will be going to.  

  http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/8810871/Russian-Roulette-medical-treatment 

You might want to grab a cuppa and a tim tam. 


On closing I just want to share a message that  my beautiful sister sent me earlier this week;     God I love her....

"I'm doing this with you Jodie, each week I'll donate the money I usually spend on booze and smokes to Marys treatment which is a much better cause. Plus along the way improve my own health and fitness, which I take for granted.. Time to grow up and look after myself, and love myself a little more.
A win win.. Thanks Sissy x thanks Mary x"




Cheers x



No comments:

Post a Comment